But without proper care and maintenance, a ceramic or graphene coating will degrade faster and its benefits will disappear sooner - plain and simple. Follow this guide to maintain your coatings performance long-term.
THE CERAMIC COATING CURING PROCESS
THE FIRST TWENTY-FOUR HOURS
The first 24 hours after coating your vehicle are critical for the curing process. Your vehicle is safe to drive, but the new coating is still rapidly hardening. It's important to avoid all of the following...
- Hard mineral water
- Abrasives or washing
- Automatic brush washes
- High or Low pH Soaps (pH Neutral only)
- Avoid parking under trees or other locations where bird droppings or tree sap may fall on the coating
If your coating comes in contact with any of the above, gently lubricate the coated surface with a sealant such as our Boost Spray and wipe the surface with a clean, unused, high-pile microfiber towel - the 460 GSM microfiber is ideal for this kind of job.
THE NEXT FOURTEEN DAYS
For the next fourteen days, your ceramic coating will be actively curing to reach its full 9H Hardness potential. It's recommended that you attempt to continue avoiding the same items listed above during this time period.
In the event that your vehicle has any dust, pollen, bird droppings, tree sap, or contaminant build-up, immediately rinse with clean water and a gentle hand wash using a pH-Neutral soap such as our S2 or S3 Soap and dry completely using a high quality microfiber detailing towel. It's important that you continue to avoid any products containing detergents or unbalanced pH levels during this period to avoid breaking down the coating.
FULLY CURED CERAMIC COATING CARE AND MAINTENANCEEVERY 2-4 WEEKS - Ceramic Coating Maintenance Washes
Everyone washes their car with varying degrees of frequency but it's recommended to perform a maintenance wash by hand at least every 2 to 4 weeks to maintain your ceramic coating's deep shine and hydrophobic properties.
One of the great benefits of a ceramic or graphene coated vehicle is the ease of washing because of its self-cleaning effect. Here are some basic ceramic or graphene coating maintenance wash rules of thumb...
Coating Maintenance Wash Method:
- Hand wash using the "Two-Bucket Method" - read our complete step-by-step post on how to hand wash a car using the two bucket method.
- Use only pH-neutral soaps like GP's S2 Soap. Using a soap that isn't pH-balanced exposes your coating to harsh detergents that can break it down and decrease its lifespan
- You can use a pH-neutral soap containing silica additives like the S3 Soap to revitalize the hydrophobic properties of your coating in the short-term but avoid soaps with wax additives. The wax will not adhere to the coating.
- Avoid washing in direct sunlight to prevent water-spotting and streaking effects
- If you don't have the time or desire to wash the car yourself, avoid automated high-volume brush washes. Stick to hand wash or touchless car washes only.
- When drying, avoid using drying towels that may cause abrasion. Use a few high-pile, edgeless microfibers like our 460 GSM microfiber. Alternate between one to absorb most of the water, and a second to dry the car completely. Avoid using excessive pressure, let the towel do the work.
Giving your coating seasonal maintenance every 3-4 months will ensure maximum performance and durability long-term. After a maintenance wash using your pH-neutral soap, apply a spray sealant as a coating topper to enhance and rejuvenate the protection, appearance, and performance benefits of your graphene or ceramic coating.
You can expect GP's Boost Sealant to offer up to 3-6 months of added protection!EVERY 365 DAYS - Ceramic Coating Decontamination
As your coating heats up during regular use and exposure to the sun, microscopic contaminants such as metallic particles and other environmental particles can become embedded in the cars surface over time. This negatively affects your coatings appearance and its ability to repel water, dirt, and other contaminants. At least once a year, you should decontaminate the surface of your car.
Use a pH-Neutral Iron Remover on your vehicle surface to draw out and break down the metallic contaminants in your paint. Just spray it on and after 3-4 minutes, give your car a maintenance wash using pH-neutral soap and the two-bucket method.
DO NOT use a clay bar on the coated vehicle. Clay bars are an abrasive and will break down the coating.
Once decontaminated and washed, you can apply our Graphene Spray Coating for added protection or to rejuvenate any portions of the coating exposed to excessive wear and tear.
Follow this guide to enjoy all of the benefits that a coated vehicle has to offer for years-to-come. If you have any questions, just contact us and one of our in-house experts will be happy to help out.
Interested in a Ceramic Coating, coating maintenance, or other professional detailing services?